Take 25% OFF on orders over $25. Code: spring25
The Joomlashack Team Blog
Before I joined Joomlashack I had my own web design business like many of you. My clients were a diverse bunch that kept me pretty busy—small businesses, restaurants, Fortune 500 brands, hip hop producers and multi-platinum rock bands. I grew my portfolio from 2 local clients in 1996 to over 50 billable, monthly clients from all over the world just a few years later.
Web designer friends of mine in big cities, like New York and Chicago, struggled mightily to land clients like mine, and whenever we would talk, they'd always ask me, "dude, no offense, but how are YOU getting these clients?"
I wasn't offended. I understood their frustration. After all, these guys were all in big cities where there were supposed be big opportunities for them, and here I was, a 'one-man operation' in small-town Ohio landing the types of big clients they could only dream about.
These guys were über talented (definitely more talented than me), and I assumed they were doing all the things I was doing to get clients. But I was surprised to find out they weren't.
While they stayed in their studios and focused solely on designing, I was out there promoting my business and getting new clients.
Here are 5 things you can do, that my friends didn't do, to get new clients, too:
The soon to be released Joomla 1.7 update will bring with it quite a few new features, including the ability for most users to benefit from a much easier upgrade process with 'once click updates', security enhancements, batch processing of articles, and more.
I've been designing Joomla websites and templates for over 5 years now and a lot has changed in my productivity and production cycle throughout the years. I've found some great tools in my career as a web designer and just wanted to share some of the web developer tools that I think are a must.
Scenica is a gorgeous new template that's perfect for anyone who wants to present their message in a more visual way. It's eye-catching slideshow backgrounds (with built-in slideshow), clean design and open layout work well with photo galleries, sites for visual artists, musicians, travel destinations, fashion & apparel sites and events & conferences. In fact, Scenica has built-in styling for the awesome new Joomla events management extension, Ohanah.
On more than one occasion I have heard people compare our web design industry with architecture.
It’s an easy comparison to make. Websites are a lot like custom designed buildings. The client, for a web site or a building, will approach a designer with a specific set of needs and objectives he or she needs to incorporate into the design. Both may have difficult problems that need to be addressed in an elegant, efficient, and flowing manner. Both need to editorialize and often fit less rather than more. The parallels between the two industries are many.
We've added some cool new Joomla 1.5 templates to our Joomla Template Gallery this week (Academia, Ascension & Marble) and updated one of our most popular Joomla templates to 1.6 (Onyx). They're all available now and ready for purchase.
Every month it seems I end up in a conversation with a new friend or acquaintance that has a website built on Joomla, and when they find out that I train people how to use Joomla, I invariably find myself telling them a handful of things that I feel are essential things to get in order if you have a Joomla powered site.
The list of things I mention is most often the same, so I thought I’d share it in hopes that it might help you with your own Joomla powered site.
Without a doubt, the first thing I suggest to people is to get their site moved to a webhost that is known to work well with Joomla and that has taken great steps in creating a secure server environment.
My top choice, and the host I always recommend, is Rochen. I’ve been using them for years, we host the Joomlashack sites there, the main Joomla websites are hosted there, and I’ve never had any major problems with any sites hosted at Rochen.
It's wedding/graduation/vacation season, and we've just released a brand new Joomla 1.5 / 1.6 template called JS Wedding that's perfect for documenting all your special memories this year.
JS Wedding is a light & versatile template with an understated elegance that is well-suited for family photo galleries or websites for weddings, anniversaries, graduations, reunions, vacations or special occasions.
Wedding comes with...
Here at Joomlashack we work very hard to provide our customers with the best products and service in the industry, however we are never satisfied, so in our efforts to continually improve ourselves we want to share with you some of the major changes we are making...
- JAB 2011
- FREE EasyBlog extension with purchase of our newest 1.6 template, Simplepraise--First 50 customers only
- 'corePHP' and Joomlashack team up to create kaGO Commerce, an exciting new Joomla shopping cart extension
- New! "Pigment" Joomla 1.5 & 1.6 Template Released!
- New! JS Meme Joomla 1.5 & 1.6 Template Released!
- Joomlashack Makes Donation to Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity
- Sample UNI Lesson: Automating daily site backups with Akeeba Backup Pro
- Remembering the Alamo: Joomlashack team meets up in San Antonio for annual company retreat
- NEW! JS Elated: An upbeat, fun & multi-purpose Joomla 1.6 template!
- Introducing JS Enterprise: A Joomla 1.6 Template Built for Business
- Onyx Business Edition Released: New Lighter Styles!
- Joomla 1.6 is coming soon: Use it or wait?
- New 'Phenom' template released. Get a free $20 gift coupon with purchase
- The Shack's Leftover Turkey Sandwiches
- Introducing ONYX: Our Latest Dark Template!
- Joomlashack Makes "15 Market Leaders of Premium WordPress, Joomla and Drupal Themes" List!
- Introducing RESERVA: An Empowering new Joomla Template
- First-ever Landing Page template for Joomla, "Impacto", now available!
- October Template: Introducing "Cloud 9"- Joomlashack's newest Joomla Template
- September: Record Month for Joomlashack
With Admincredible you can update and manage all your Joomla sites. Whether you have 5 or 500 sites, Admincredible will make your life easier!