- Written by Tom Elliott
Want to learn more about how to build professional websites with Joomla? Then check out Joomlashack University, the #1 Joomla online training program in the world.
After I download my free template, then what do I do?
The free template comes as a zipped file that you will download to your computer. Here's how you upload the template to Joomla:
Joomla 1.5 Template Install
1. In your Joomla Administrator panel, go to Extensions > Install/Uninstall . (Screenshot below)
2. Click on the "Browse..." button, browse to the folder that was unzipped from template package you downloaded, and select the template .zip file. (Screenshot below)
3. Click on "Upload file & Install." The template should take a few seconds to upload. After the upload and install is complete, you should see an 'Install Template ' message. (Screenshot below)
4. Now you will need to set the template to be the default template for your site. To do this, go to Extensions > Template Manager,
select the template's radio button, and click on the 'Default' button in the top right area of the manager. If you set the default correctly, you should see a star in the 'Default' column for the template. (Screenshot below - modified to fit space)
Your template should now be installed and set as the default.
Joomla 1.0 Template Install
1. In your Joomla Administrator panel, go to Installers > Templates- Site. (Screenshot below)
2. Click on the ìBrowse...î button and select the .zip file of the template you downloaded. (Screenshot below)
3. Click on "Upload file & Install." The template should take a few seconds to upload. After the download is complete, click "Continue."
4. You will then proceed automatically to the the Template Manager, where you can set your new free template as the default. (Screenshot below)
How do I set up my free template once it's installed?
Answers to most questions can be found in our Knowledgebase.
Setup assistance as well as template usage and Joomla usage questions may be asked in our Community Forum for support.