Not only is CMS Expo a hotbed of the world's leading Joomla experts, developers, and trainers, the conference has expanded to include learning tracks and presentations on a wide range of the world's best open source Content Management Systems.
One of the handiest tools you can have in your Joomla toolbox is the ability to put the contents of a module right into the body of an article. (The article you're reading now is using this method. See the message in the box right above this sentence? That's actually content from a module being loaded right into this article.)
This can be a significant timesaver, since you can create a module one time in the Module Manager and then simply place it into any number of articles on your site.
That means you wouldn't have to set up that content individually in every article: you do the work once and then simply tell Joomla where you want that module to appear.
To show you how to do this, I'll show you an example of using this method to put a newsletter sign up form right in an article.
Here's a look at the end result:
Here's how to do this:
1) In Joomla go to Extensions>Module Manager. Then click on New to create a new module.
2) Select Custom HTML from the list of available modules. (You can put other types of modules in articles, but for this example I'll show you how to do this with a custom HTML module.)
3) Name your module. In this example, I named the module "Newsletter sign up."
4) Set show title to "No."
5) For the module Position (and here's the key of this trick), put your cursor in the field next to "Position" and type in a new position name. In this example, I've called the new position "newsletter."
6) For the menu assignment, you can leave it set to All.
7) In the Custom Output area, enter in whatever content you want to have in this module. In this example, I've got some code entered that's creating the iContact newsletter sign up form:
8) When you're done, save the module.
9) Go into the Article Manager (Components>Article Manager) and open up an article where you'd like to put this module.
10) Wherever you want the module to be, type in this syntax (which is sometimes referred to as the "loadposition syntax") :
Replace "newmoduleposition" with the name of the new module position you created when you typed in the new position name in the custom HTML module.
For my example, this is how my article with the newsletter module in it looks when opened up in Joomla:
11) Save the article and check how it looks on the front of your site. That's it!
Now, whatever article on your site that you want to have this module appear in, all you have to do is enter in the loadposition syntax and it will appear.
We've just released over 50 minutes of new video lessons in the Intermediate course in Joomlashack University.
In the Blogging With Joomla learning module, you'll find two new videos:
When we launched Joomlashack University back in October, we knew Joomla beginners would flock to our rich library of step-by-step videos and written tutorials. And then they did in droves. But what to do when they're ready for more?
The Intermediate Joomla Course
With our first crop of students ready to move into new learning territory, we've loaded the Intermediate course with over 2.5 hours of new video tutorials, including:
Our friends over at JomSocial have been working furiously on a major new release. And now it's here and ready for your free trial!
JomSocial 1.6 has a slew of new features and improvements, including:
- Amazon S3 Storage support
- Massively enhanced privacy support
- Improved activity stream
- New API for new possibilities
- Modules everywhere
- And tons of refinement and bug fixes
Did you know JomSocial offers a one month free trial for just $1?
Learn all about JomSocial and its many improvements with version 1.6.
Not yet familar with K2? K2 is the powerful content component that gives you enormous flexibility to place and display your content differently than your typical "out of the box" Joomla layout style. Learn more about K2 and AppBox.
JS AppBox is a web 2.0 template optimized with raw SEO power and easy style integration with best-of-breed tools to make your site engaging and sticky.
Check out these many features:
School Websites are challenging. Why not let the Shack Pack for Schools make it easier?
School Website Admins: the Shack Pack for Schools saves you many hours of research, fiddling, and Joomla configuring.
Our team of Joomla experts (some of whom are former high school teachers and administrators) have put together all of the tools and content you need to get started- all in one instant install package!
What's included in the Shack Pack?
- Instant Joomla installer to create the full example site with content, several free and useful extensions, and relevant content. You'll start with a site that looks exactly like our "Shack Pack for Schools" demo.
- Our Inspirion template, a $47 value with seven color packs included!
- Access to our forum for Educators using Joomla where your questions can be answered
For just $97, you'll get a complete school website ready for your immediate tweaking and configuration.
How do you make a SEO monster template built to work with the best Joomla community extension (JomSocial) even better? How do you set up SEO optimized Websites? Do you want to learn SEO? Would be interested in SEO lessons? SEO Courses? SEO video tutorials? SEO Training? Conversion optimization lessons? Conversion optimization courses. Conversion optimization video tutorials. Conversion optimization training.
Make it work with the outstanding forum extension, Kunena!
Unfamiliar with Kunena? It's an open source forum extension used on over 100,000 Joomla sites the world over. Check out our JS Community Kunena Demo to see it in action.
Ready to grow your Joomla business in 2012? Join our Joomla Training class at Joomlashack University, the premiere online Joomla learning center, and let us show you how! You'll enjoy our comprehensive array of learning content including Joomla lessons, Joomla tutorials, Joomla video tutorials, and full Joomla courses.
In October we launched as a "Joomla for Beginners" Joomla Training course, but with plans to become so much more. The incredible response (over 400 students in under 80 days) provided us with excellent feedback about ShackU and where we should take it.
What do our students want next? More learning! More Joomla lessons, more Joomla videos and Joomla tutorials, more information about how to grow their Joomla business in 2010. We've already doubled our Joomla training content in just 3 months!
Now we are pleased to launch our latest course, Intermediate Joomla Training, included as a part of your ShackU membership!