With the third release candidate available for Joomla, Joomlashack has unveiled our first template that runs on Joomla 1.5 natively: Weblogic.
Joomlashack has updated its popular template tutorial to 1.5!
This huge guide has been updated to the latest version, Joomla 1.5, Release Candidate 2. This guide takes you through making 4 incremental templates and includes the following topics:
Creating a pure CSS layout Joomla 1.5 template
In this chapter, we'll go through the steps of creating a Joomla template. Specifically, we will create a template that uses Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to produce a layout without use of tables. This is a desirable goal because it means that the template code is easier to validate to World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards. It will also tend to load faster, be easier to maintain, and perform better in search engines. These issues are discussed in detail later in the chapter.
HURRY TO VOTE BEFORE FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26th!
Last year Packt Publishing sponsored its first-ever Open Source Content Management System Awards. Over 15,000 voters participated, and Joomla edged out Drupal to win the title of "Best Open Source CMS."
Now Packt is sponsoring the second Open Source CMS Awards. This year they've opened up the contest with multiple categories and larger cash prizes.
Joomla has been nominated in two categories:
Vote Joomla! for Best Overall Open Source CMS
Vote Joomla! for Best PHP Open Source CMS
Cast your vote today, if you can find the "vote" button on the Packt site. (It's on the bottom right-hand corner of the pages linked to above, below a short marketing survey. You do not need to do the survey to vote.)
Packt is even giving away Apple Nano Ipods to three lucky voters. If last year's vote count is any indication, your odds of winning are better than 0.0067%!
If you are curious about the new version of Joomla (1.5), then you should nip over to itidiots.com and check out the training video they've just published. It walks you through some basic steps in getting a site up and running. It's informative and even a little funny.
The Joomla Project celebrated its second birthday this month with Release Candidate 2, the second of three release candidates for Joomla 1.5. Check it out!
Read the official news
Get Joomla 1.5 RC2
Instructions for upgrading from RC1 to RC2
Discuss Joomla 1.5 on our forum
Vote for the Joomlashack Templates you want to see converted for 1.5!
While still not ready for production sites, the Joomla folks are feeling that a final stable release is coming sometime before the end of 2007. Stay tuned to Joomlashack for updates.
Joomlashack is currently researching which hosts people use, have used, or will never use again to host Joomla websites. We want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly to get a better grasp on the popular hosts, the good hosts, and the bad hosts.
For those of you who would like to take the time to give an honest and informative assessment of hosts that you have used, Joomlashack will give you a 20% discount voucher toward any order in our shop.
Post a reply in our community forum detailing your web host experiences, and we'll send you an email with that 20% discount voucher code.
Thank you in advance for your contributions!
How to get download tutorial
Were you a Joomlashack customer before June 24th, 2007?
Want to access your templates or other licenses again?
Need an updated version of your download?
We can help!
On June 24th, 2007 Joomlashack changed its license delivery system to a new online shop. Powered by Iono, our new shop does a much better job managing your licenses and giving you access to your template and other downloads. Your previous login name and password will not automatically work in our new system.
If you purchased a download from us before June 24th, 2007 using our previous cart system, and want access to your download, you'll need to follow these steps carefully.
1. Please re-register your shop account with us at www.joomlashack.com/shop and then wait for our system to send you an email to the address registered. The email's subject line will be "Activate your Joomlashack account" and the sender "Joomlashack." Please be sure to set your spam filter to allow any/all emails from joomlashack.com through.
2. Once you have successfully created a new user account, visit our Support Center and create a ticket. Please be sure to paste into your ticket the following information, so that we may confirm your previous purchase. The more information you provide us, the faster we will be able to process your request.
- Order invoice and number (sent to you via email from "sales(at)joomlashack.com" at time of purchase)
- Paypal receipt information, including transaction ID number (sent to you by email at time of purchase . Sender email address was service(at)paypal.com and the subject line likely was "Receipt for Your Payment to JoomlaShack Custom Templates & Services")
- Date of order
- Email address used for purchase
- Your name and address associated with your credit card.
- YOUR NEW SHOP ACCOUNT USERNAME AND EMAIL
3. Within five days, Joomlashack will review your submission and attempt to place new licenses for each previously purchased download in your new shop account. We will send you an email to the address registered in the ticket system alerting you that your new licenses are ready for download.
We hope you'll sign up for a new shop account, and take advatange of our new licensing system to keep your download available to you at all times, regularly updated with bug fixes and other improvments. If you have any questions, visit our Support Center and get answers.
We've just updated the Flash Rotator module with some IE bug fixes and a couple of really cool new features, as well as adding Joomla! 1.5 compatibility.
We've added a new transition called 'bubbles' which simulates a bubbling overlay effect. We've also incorporated the popular Ken Burns effect for users who use the rotator for photos.
The Ken Burns effect is a neat fading pan-and-zoom animation which works best with the new "Slow Fade" transition.
If you use this module and want to update your current copy or try it out for free, you can register on the forum and download it now.
If you plan to use this module commercially and want to remove all referenced links back to Joomlashack, including the right-click context Flash menu, you can purchase our unbranded version from our online shop for just $19.95.
If you'd like to try out our branded version for free, be sure to join our forum first, and then go download the branded versions here:
Last week I mentioned that the Joomla 1.5 Release Candidate had arrived, officially taking Joomla 1.5 out of beta status. At Joomlashack we have been working hard pouring over the new 1.5 templating engine and are looking for community input for what templates you would like to see run on 1.5 natively.