Previous versions of Captcha tried to prevent spam by presenting users with distorted letters and numbers. This system was confusing to users, but spammers still found workarounds.
The new Google system is known as No Captcha reCaptcha. This new system is way more user-friendly and doesn't require user interaction.
In this blog post, I am going to show you how to add the "Invisible reCaptcha" spam protection to Shack Forms.
Google's "Invisible reCAPTCHA" allows you to protect your Shack Forms from spam. It does it on background, without user interaction.
For those new to the concept of captcha, this tool protects your site from bots and malicious visitors.
They will try to steal your passwords, post spam comments, scrape your content and create fake user accounts.
Google Captchas stand in between your site and malicious bots and visitors. Captchas normally ask a question that is simple for humans but hard for robots.
Such one-time verification doesn't fit all use cases, however. That's why Google developed the invisible version of its captcha.
It eliminates the interactive test your site visitors have to pass to fill a form, so they won't be interrupted anymore.
Let's take a look at how to set this up.
Step #1. Register your site to use the Invisible reCAPTCHA API
- Login to your Gmail account and go to google.com/recaptcha.
- In the "Register a new site" box, click "Invisible" under "reCAPTCHA v2":
- Enter your domain name into the "Domains" text area.
- Click "Accept the re-CAPTCHA Temrs of Service".
- Click "Send alerts to owners".
- Click "Register".
- Copy the Site and the Secret keys:
Step #2. Configure the Invisible re-CAPTCHA plugin
- In your Joomla control panel, go to "Extensions" > "Plugins".
- Click "Captcha - Invisible reCAPTCHA":
- Paste the Site and Secret Keys that you copied in the previous step into their respective fields:
- Click "Published" and then click "Save & Close".
- Go to "System" > "Global Configuration".
- Find the "Default Captcha" setting and set it to "CAPTCHA - Invisible reCAPTCHA":
Step #3. Configure your Shack Form
- Open up your Shack Form for editing.
- Go to the "Advanced" tab.
- Find the "Captcha" parameter and set it to "Captcha - Invisible reCAPTCHA":
- Click "Save" or "Save & Close".
When you check your Shack Form now, you will see Google's "Invisible reCAPTCHA" at work:
Save $1000's when you sign up to Joomlashack's Everything Club.
You will get access to all our 31 extensions, templates, and Joomla training.