Joomla development has been the most requested topic by Joomlashack University members.
So, I'm delighted to release another in a series of several Joomla development classes. We've worked with Cory Webb, a Joomla developer since 2005, to produce a series of classes on building extensions.
This new class is called "How to Develop Joomla Components. Part 1: the Administrator".
This class follows on from "How to Develop Joomla Modules" and "How to Develop Joomla Plugins".
Do you want to learn Joomla extension development? Click here to join Joomlashack University.
About the Joomla component development class
Watch these videos, and you'll learn how to build the administrator area for a to-do list component.
Cory is going to show you how to build the file, folder and database structure. You'll learn how Joomla uses the Model, View, Controller pattern to make the component operations. You'll also see how to add access control, categories, scripts and language translations to your extension.
Stay tuned for Part 2 of this class, where we'll build the visitor-facing section of the same component.
Joomla component class syllabus
- Introduction to Joomla Component Development
- Setting up Your Joomla Development Environment
Building the Extension
- Hello World for a Joomla Component
- Improving the XML Manifest File
- Add Configuration Parameters to a Component
- How to Store Joomla Component Data
Model, View, Controller
- Understanding Joomla's MVC Pattern
- Building Controllers for the Joomla Component
- Joomla Component Views, Part 1
- Joomla Component Views, Part 2
- A View for Multiple To-Do List Items
- A View for an Individual To-Do List Item
- A Model for Multiple To-do List Items
- A Model for an Individual To-Do List Item
More Component Features
- Access Control Levels in a Component
- Integrating a Component with Joomla Categories
- Building the Component Script File
- Language Translation Files for a Component
- Wrapping up the Component Administrator Area
- Joomla Component Quiz