Send Test Emails From a Locally Installed Joomla Site
- Written by Alex Smirnov Alex Smirnov
- Category: Joomla How To Joomla How To
- Published: 10 May 2018 10 May 2018
One Joomlashack user asked us if they can test a contact form on their Joomla site even though the site was installed on their personal computer.
This is a great question because normally local servers are not configured to send out emails.
In this tutorial, I'll show you how set up your local Joomla site to send out emails.
- Log in to your Joomla site.
- Go to Global Configuration > Mail Settings.
- You will normally see that he Mailer option is set to PHP Mail:
The PHP Mail option works fine for Joomla sites, hosted on remote servers.
For a site running on your local box, change it from PHP Mail to SMTP, which allows you to get email sending details from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
In essence, you are setting your Joomla site to send emails the same way you would set up your desktop email client, like Outlook or Thunderbird.
Step #1. Get SMTP Settings from Your ISP
Check with your ISP to find our what these SMTP settings are:
- SMTP Host
- SMTP Port
- SMTP Security
- SMTP Username
- SMTP Password
I was able to find my ISP's SMTP settings by simply Googling them up (with the obvious exception of my username and password).
Hopefully, this approach will work for you as well.
Otherwise, try browsing your ISP's online knowledge base or contact them directly.
Step #2. Set Joomla Mailer
Once you have all of your ISP's SMTP settings, you are now ready to set your Joomla to work with incoming/outgoing emails.
- Go to System > Global Configuration > Server:
- Locate the Mail Settings on the right-hand side of the page
- Fill in the fields with your ISP's SMTP details :
- Click Save.
- Good job! You are now ready to test your local Joomla site's email sending.
Step #3. Test Your Joomla Mailer
- At the bottom of the Mail Settings section, click the Send Test Mail button:
You should now see "The email was sent to ..." message, confirming that your Joomla mailer has been successfully set up:
- Check the email inbox your ISP provided you. You should find in there an email with the same message about the successful test:
Join our Joomlashack Everything Club now. Become a member and find everything you need to build great Joomla websites:
- 22 powerful extensions
- 20 beautiful templates
- 500+ easy to follow training videos
- 2 best-selling Joomla books.