AdminExile adds an extra security layer in Joomla. This plugin makes it possible to deny access to your administrator login page.
We've found this to be useful for security, but also to keep our site online. Before we protected our login area, we found that spam bots could hit our login often enough to take our site offline.
In this tutorial, I'm going to explain how to use the basic feature of this plugin.
Step #1. Download and install AdminExile plugin
Go to AdminExile page and click "Download AdminExile" button
- Login to your Joomla administrator area.
- Go to Extensions > Manage.
- Upload a Package File
- Browse the zip you just downloaded
- Click "upload and install" button
Step #2. Configure AdminExile plugin
- Go to Extensions
- Search "AdminExile" (no spaces)
- Click in the plugin
- Set Status to "enabled"
- Type a custom URL Access Key. Use a secret word, similar to a password.
- Leave Use key + value and Allow re-entry as "no"
- Type a custom Redirect URL. This will be the page that users would see when they try to reach the login page in administrator without including the access key.
- For example: https://www.yoursite.com/some-page
- Save and close
Step #3. End result
The url to access the login page will be generated below "Your URL" label:
From now, use that URL to reach the login page:
If the access key is not included in the url, you would be redirected to the custom url defined in previous step: