Convert Old School Emoticons into Emojis with ReReplacer
- Written by Valentín García Valentín García
- Category: Joomla Joomla
- Published: 21 April 2016 21 April 2016
Emojis are popular. You can see them everywhere on Facebook, Twitter, and now in Joomla too!
I'm a fan of typing emoticons in the old way. On the web, I usually type the smiley one with :) and (y) to represent a thumbs up.
In this tutorial, I'll share a trick to convert those old school emoticons into the new emojis supported in Joomla 3, using the ReReplacer extension.
Step #1. Emoji support
- Double-check that your Joomla site has support for emojis. This tutorial will guide you. Make sure to check the section "If your Joomla 3.5 site does not support emoji".
Step #2. Download and Install ReReplacer
- Download and install ReReplacer as this tutorial explains.
Step #3. Create the replacement
- Go to Components.
- Regular Labs - ReReplacer, or NoNumber ReReplacer (old brand name).
- Click New.
I want to replace :) and (y) with and .
- So, I fill in the Search area separating each emoticon with a comma.
- In Replace, I copy and paste the emojis taken from the GetEmoji site, also separated by a comma.
- Set Treat as List as "yes".
- Type a title.
- Save and close.
Step #4. End result
Any instance of (y) and :) will be converted into cute emojis in frontend, thanks to ReReplacer.