Joomla 3.2 is shaping up to be one of my favorite Joomla updates.
There are also some useful smaller improvements. One such improvement is the move from TinyMCE 3 to TinyMCE 4.
TinyMCE 3 was released in early 2008, and here's how it looks in existing Joomla versions.
TinyMCE 4 was released in June this year. Below you can see how the new, updated version looks in Joomla 3.2. As you can seThe design is far sharper and the icons are far more legible.
There's a dropdown menu which hides some of the more complex settings:
TinyMCE 4 was a major rewrite of the API plus all of the plugins and skins for the editor.
If you're interested in reading more, there's a full introduction at https://www.tinymce.com/presentation/
Some highlights from the presentation:
- The interface is now much more lightweight and easier to understand for end users.
- A new modern skin with retina ready fonts used as icons.
- An inline editing interface. Joomla could use this for improved front-end editing.
- Uses the HTML5 video/audio elements by default.
- Much easier to use table tools.
- The Paste plugin was rewritten from scratch with better filtering. Take that MS Word.
Importantly for the new, mobile Joomla 3, there's also a much improved mobile version.
In Joomla 3.2, go to Extensions > Plugin Manager > Editor - TinyMCE and you can turn the Mobile Mode on:
That will automatically provide a simple verison of TinyMCE with large buttons for people to use on their phones.