Over the last year, we've talked a lot about the upcoming Joomla 4. If you missed any of those updates, you can check out the ultimate guide to Joomla 4.
There is one important Joomla 4-related topic we need to talk about. The topic is Joomla 3.10 which will be the final release for Joomla 3.
Here are some key things to know about this final Joomla 3 release:
The bridge to Joomla 4
Joomla 3.10 is intended to be the bridge between Joomla 3 and Joomla 4. The 3.10 release will help ease the transition to Joomla 4 by including backports of API changes from Joomla 4.
Updating extensions and templates
The Joomla team tried to make it as easy as possible to run the same code on Joomla 3.10 and Joomla 4.0. There is a list of “Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 4”. Here are the general guidelines for extensions:
- Extensions that run on 3.9 will also run on 3.10.
- Extensions that run on 3.10 will also run on Joomla 4 if they're not using any deprecated features.
Templates are likely to be the trickiest item to update because developers often build their own frameworks.
The Joomla Update component
Joomla 3.10 will be the starting point for any update to Joomla 4. To help you update, there's a new Joomla Update component. This will test your site to make sure it's ready for Joomla 4. It will test your PHP and server options, your settings, and the extensions you are using.
I'll quickly show you how to test the Joomla Update component now:
- Download a nightly build of Joomla 3.10.
- Install a new copy of Joomla 3.10 or update an existing Joomla 3 site (don't use a live site, please).
- Go to Components > Joomla Update > Options.
- Choose "Custom URL".
- Enter this URL into the "Custom URL" field:
- Save the "Options" screen.
- You will now see a screen that is testing whether your site is ready for Joomla 4. This is similar to the current Joomla installation process.
Extensions will need to add a compatibility tag to show that they're ready for Joomla 4. You can see more on this at the 10-minute mark of the video below.
- Click the "Live Update" tab.
- You can now proceed with the update to Joomla 4. This works in a very similar way to current Joomla 3 updates.
- When the update is finished, you will have a new Joomla 4 site!
Joomla 3.10 will also have a long-term support. You will get at least two years of bug-fixes for 3.10, even after Joomla 4 comes out. This is the support plan:
- Bug and security support will be ensured for a window of 12 to 18 months.
- The remaining time (6 to 12 months) will be security support only.
Joomla 3.10 release date
The plan is for 3.10 and 4.0 to release simultaneously. Joomla 4 is still only at the Beta stage, so it may be a few more months before we see Joomla 3.10.
Video introduction to Joomla 3.10
If you're interested in learning more, I highly recommend that you watch the video below. This is an interview with Tobias Zulauf who is the release lead for Joomla 3.10. We've also linked to an article from Tobias in the area below: