How to Create Custom Administrator Menus in Joomla
- Written by Steve Burge Steve Burge
- Category: Joomla Tutorials Joomla Tutorials
- Published: 21 April 2017 21 April 2017
One new feature in Joomla 3.7 is the ability to create new admin menus.
This is a very handy feature for sites with multiple users. Instead of trying to manipulate the permissions for some users, you can simply give them a different set of menu links.
In this example, I'll show you how to make an admin menu that only shows for the Administrator user group.
Step #1. Create an Administrator menu
- Go to Menus > Manage > Add menu.
- Click "New".
- Enter a Title for the menu. Choose something accurate, such as "Publisher Menu".
- Set the Client to "Administrator".
- Save the menu.
- You'll now see that the menu appears in the admin bar. The dropdown is divided into "Site" and "Administrator".
Step #2. Add menu links
The next step is to create the links that our Publishers will use.
- Go to Menus > Publisher Menu > Add New Menu Item.
- Create the links that your Publisher users will have access to.
- In this example, I'm creating a "Content" link that will lead to a list of all the articles.
Step #3. Create the user and permissions
Now we're going to create a user and give them the correct permissions.
- Go to Users > Manage > Add New User.
- Create a user in the "Publisher" user group:
- Notice the "Advanced Permissions Report" link? That's also new in Joomla 3.7. It will give you an overview of what this user can and cannot do.
- The most important permissions are in System > Global Configuration > Permission. We need to make sure that our user is allowed the "Administrator Login" and "Access Administration Interface" permissions.
Step #4. Create the Menu module
Now we're going place the new administrator menu, using a module.
- Go to Extensions > Modules.
- Choose "Administrator" from the dropdown options:
- Click "New".
- For the menu type, choose "Administrator Menu":
- For the "Position" option, choose "Menu".
- For the "Access" option, choose "Publisher".
- Click the "Advanced" tab.
- Choose your menu under "Menu to Show".
- Set "Check Menu" to "No". This will stop Joomla from showing warnings about important menu links not being in your administration menu.
- Save your new menu.
- To avoid conflicting with the normal administrator menu, I would recommend editing the "Admin Menu" module and setting the "Access" option to "Super User".
Step #5. Test your new setup
- Log out as the administrator.
- Log in as your new user. The image below shows what the Publisher user group will see:
You probably won't get everything set up perfectly the first time, but with a little bit of testing, you are now able to create a great admin experience for your users.