To embed Facebook and Instagram posts in your Joomla content, you need to connect your Joomla site to Facebook. This is a three-step process:
- Create a Facebook App.
- Switch your Facebook App to Live mode.
- Connect your Joomla site to Facebook.
Let's see those three steps in detail.
Step #1. Create a Facebook App
- Login to your Facebook account.
- Go to https://developers.facebook.com/apps.
- Click the "Create App" green button:
- You will see the "Create an App" white modal box, as shown in the next image.
- Click "Build Connected Experiences".
- Click "Continue":
- Fill in the "App Display Name" and "App Contact Email" fields.
- Click "Create App":
- You will see the "Security Check" popup. Click the "I am not a robot" checkbox. You may also have to complete some more Captcha screens.
- Once Facebook verified your app, you will see the "Add Products to Your App" screen. You will see your Facebook App name in the top left corner.
- Click "Set Up" for the "oEmbed" product:
- You will be asked to confirm acceptance of the oEmbed product, as you can see in the next image. Check the box and click "Confirm":
- You will see your oEmbed product menu item on the left side menu, as shown in the next image.
- Click "Settings" and in the dropdown click "Basic":
- Set the "User Data Deletion" setting to the "Data Deletion Instructions URL" option.
- Enter the URL of the page with your data deletion instructions in the field underneath.
- Click "Save Changes":
- For a few seconds, you will see onscreen activity. Once it's stopped, copy the App ID and click "Show" for the "App Secret":
- You will be asked to enter your Facebook password. Enter it and click "Submit":
- You will see your App Secret, as in the next image. Copy your Facebook App ID and App Secret:
Well done! You just created your Facebook App. But at the moment it runs in its default "Development" mode.
To be able to embed Facebook and Instagram posts in your Joomla content using OSEmbed Pro, you want your Facebook App to run in "Live" mode.
And this is exactly what you will do in the next step.
Step #2. Switch your Facebook App to Live mode
- Click "In development":
- You will see the "Switch to Live Mode?" box. Click "Switch Mode":
- You will see that your Facebook App in now in "Live" mode:
Excellent! At his point, you are ready to connect your Joomla site to your Facebook App.
Step #3. Connect your Joomla site to Facebook using OSEmbed Pro
- Go to your OSEmbed Pro plugin settings and paste the Facebook App ID and Facebook App Secret into their respective fields:
- Click "Save" or "Save & Close".
- Test embedding a Facebook post in your Joomla article. You should see the posts successfully embedded:
- Test embedding an Instagram post. You should see the Instagram post displayed at the frontend of your Joomla site as well: