In our beginner classes we recommend Google Analytics as a free and accurate way to count people visiting your site.
Step #1. Get the Google Analytics ID
- Sign in to your Google Analytics account. Please, visit this tutorial on how to create a Google Analytics account, if you still don't have one.
- In your Google Analytics dashboard, click Admin.
- You will see the new columns. In the Property column, click Property Settings.
- Copy the Tracking Id. This is what we will use to connect your site to Google Analytics.
Step #2. Add your Tracking ID to your site.
- In your Joomla administrator area, go to Components > Shack Analytics Pro.
- You will be taken to the Shack Analytics: Tracking Tags administrative page.
- Click System - Shack Analytics.
- Enter the ID number of your Google Analuytics account into the Universal property ID box.
- Make sure that this plugin is enabled.
There are some key settings on this page. Here is what they mean:
- Google Analytics: Choose the Google Analytics version to use; Universal or Classic.
- Disable cookie: Let the plugin use visitor IP addresses to calculate a unique client ID instead of using a cookie. Accuracy is decreased a little but data is collected even if cookies aren't accepted.
- Cookie domain: Override the default cookie domain. The default is the domain of the current web page (minus any sub-domain). Leave it empty to preserve default behavior of Google Analytics.
- Anonymize IP: Anonymize visitor IP addresses by telling Google Analytics to not store the full IP address.
Step #3. Check your result
- Check the source code of your website pages. You will see your Google Analytics tracking code added:
You can also go to your Google Analytics account to make sure that the Google is accepting the code. The best to way to check is by clicking "Real-Time" and seeing if Google is picking up people currently on your site.