Google Docs can be one of the trickiest things to embed in any website. The embed code is hard to use and can easily become corrupted.
With OSEmbed Pro Joomla extension, you can now embed Google Docs into your Joomla site with just a URL. This feature is so cool that it's not even available in WordPress, which is famous for easy embeds.
Step #1. Install OSEmbed Pro
- Install OSEmbed into your site.
Step #2. Get the Google URL
- Visit drive.google.com and find the document you want to embed.
- In the top right corner of your screen, click "Share".
- You will see a white box. In the top right corner of the box, click "Get shareable link":
- Click "Copy link" and then click "Advanced":
- Click "Change":
- Click the "On - Public on the Web" radio button and then click "Save":
Excellent! You now have your Google Doc URL. You also set your Google Doc to be publicly viewable.
Let's embed it inside your selected Joomla article.
Step #3. Add the Google Doc URL to a Joomla article
- In your Joomla administrator panel, open up a Joomla article where you would like to embed your Google Document.
- Paste the Google URL you copied in the previous step inside the Joomla article. OSEmbed will automatically convert the URL into a working Google Doc! You will see its preview inside the editor:
- Visit the frontend on your Joomla site. You will see that your Joomla article displays the embed perfectly:
Can I edit my Google Doc inside Joomla?
The answer is Yes.
Yes you can. As long as you are logged into your Google Docs account, you will be able to edit your Google Doc directly inside your Joomla article.
Joomla will apply your edits to the embed in the article instantly. You will see the edits, saved as a new version of the document, under your Google Docs account in a few minutes.
Note: this blog tutorial was originally published on February 18, 2016.
Save $1000's when you sign up to Joomlashack's Everything Club.
You will get access to all our 31 extensions, templates, and Joomla training.