How to Change the Default Language in Joomla
- Written by Valentín García Valentín García
- Category: Joomla Joomla
- Published: 15 August 2016 15 August 2016
When you create a new install of Joomla, you have to choose a default language.
For example, if you choose English (UK) as default language, your site will use that language in the backend and frontend.
In this tutorial, I'll show you how to change that default. I'll show you how to setup a new language pack in Joomla and set that as the default.
Install a new language
By default, Joomla comes with a single language package for the backend and frontend. The language is defined during the installation process.
To install a new language package:
- Go to Extensions > Languages > Installed.
- Click the "Install languages" button.
- From the list of available languages, check the one you need.
- Then click "Install".
Wait until the process finishes, so the new language is added to your installation.
Switch the default language for the frontend
The frontend is the public area of your Joomla installation.
- Go back to Extensions > Languages
- Switch to "Site"
- Click on the start icon of the new language.
The new language in frontend will change. Next step, change the default language for the backend.
Switch the default language for the backend
The backend is the private area of your Joomla installation, where you manage the content of your site.
- Switch to "Administrator"
- Click on the star icon for the new language.
The new language will be applied to the backend.