Joomla 3 support was officially retired by the Joomla team in August 2023. The Joomla community is moving forward with Joomla 4, and soon, Joomla 5.
In another post, we outlined our future plans for Joomla 4. In this post, I'll look backwards and explain our plans for Joomla 3.
In that original Joomla 4 post, I said this:
"[Our] goal is to support as many of our customers, as well as we can, for as long as we can."
We still have a good number of Joomlashack customers using Joomla 3. So to meet our goal, we've decided to support those Joomla 3 users for at least one more year.
Our support for Joomla 3
We plan to support Joomla 3 extensions until at least August 2024. Here are the specific details:
- We will actively support the 25 extensions in this list. We'll also do our best to support templates and extensions that remain only for Joomla 3, but there will be no bug-fixes.
- Joomla 3 support will be available for Joomlashack Pro members.
- The exception to the policy is JCal Pro, which is basically a new extension after the Joomla 4 upgrade. This post explains the scope of the changes we had to make. JCal Pro will be supported as normal on Joomla 4. We will try to fix minor bugs in Joomla 3 for JCal Pro but may not be able to fix major bugs.
- Here's a list of known issues with our extensions on Joomla 3.
How long will we support Joomla 3?
In August 2024, we'll assess again whether to continue Joomla 3 support. We'll decide based on two factors:
- How many people are still using Joomla 3.
- How difficult it is to maintain support for both Joomla 3 and 5.