YouTube is Changing Their API So We're Updating OSYouTube
- Written by Alex Smirnov Alex Smirnov
- Category: Joomlashack Joomlashack
- Published: 11 September 2018 11 September 2018
Starting from September 25, we will be making some changes in our OSYouTube Joomla plugin.
In this blog post, you will learn what exactly will be changed and why we are making these changes.
Google is changing their YouTube Player API
Google recently announced a number of changes in their YouTube player API. The changes will be taking effect on September 25. One of the changes is deprecating the
showinfo API parameter:
showinfoparameter, which indicates whether the player should display information like the video title and uploader before the video starts playing, is ... being deprecated. Following the change, the channel avatar and video title will always display before playback begins, when playback is paused, and when playback ends. The avatar being displayed is new behavior that will be consistent across all embedded players.
What will change in OSYouTube?
These YouTube API changes impact the information shown on your video embeds. We will be updating the options in OSYouTube Pro to reflect these changes. We'll remove the "Info" option because YouTube will be start to ignore that feature:
When your viewers are watching videos embedded with OSYouTube, they will notice two changes:
- They will not be able to disable the "related videos" feature. However, they will have the option of specifying that the related videos shown in the player should be from the same channel as the video that was just played.
- The channel avatar and video title will always display before playback begins, when playback is paused, and when playback ends. The avatar being displayed is new behavior that will be consistent across all embedded players.